And so the story goes . . .
1926/27 - Clifford Ball aquires 7 Waco biplanes as payment for a debt.
Establishes Clifford Ball, Inc.
Apr. 21, 1927 - First airmail flight between McKeesport's Bettis Airport
and Cleveland (CAM 11).
Apr. 29, 1928 - Starts passenger service with three 4 passenger
Apr. 28, 1929 - 6 passenger Fairchild 71s joined the fleet and passenger
service between Pittsburgh's Allegheny County Airport and Washington's
Hoover Airport was inaugurated.
Aug. 1929, Clifford Ball, Inc., created the "Path of the Eagle,"
a passenger route from Cleveland to Washington
Nov. 1930, Clifford Ball airline was purchased by Pittsburgh Aviation
Industries Corp. and renamed Pennsylvania Air Lines
May 1931 - Starts service with tri-motor Stinson SM6000B.
1933 - Purchases a fleet of 5 ex-United Airlines (National Air Transport) Ford
1934 - Pittsburgh Aviation Industries name changed to Pennsylvania
Airlines and Transport Co.
Nov. 1, 1936 - Merged with Cental Airlines (started in 1934) and Kohler
Airlines (started in 1929) to become Pennsylvania-Central Airlines and makes
the company the fifth largest airline in the country.
1939 - Washinton/Baltimore/Harrisburg/Williasport/Buffalo route extended
south toward Knoxville using the Boeing 247D twins.
1939 - Order placed for 6 DC5's. Cancelled due to WW II.
1941 - Moves headquarters to National Airport.
1942 - PCA was flying two Boeing 247D twins and sixteen Douglas DC-3s.
1944 - The US C.A.B. allowed PCA to compete on the New York-Chicago
route via Pittsburgh and Detroit.
1945 - The direct route between Washington and Chicago was awarded.
1946 - PCA introduced Douglas DC-4s (many were converted U.S. Army C54's)
Apr. 21, 1948 - PCA changed its name to Capital Airlines.
Nov. 4, 1948 - Capital Airlines made a 'first' in American airline
history when it introduced a new low-fare 'coach' service called the
1952-1955 - Capital added 19 Lockheed L-049 and 749's Constellations to
it's fleet of 29 DC4/C54's and 21 DC3's.
1954-1955 - Capital ordered 40 Vickers Viscount 700 turboprops and
increased the order to 60. First Viscout delivered June 15, 1955.
Jul. 26, 1955 - The first Viscount saw Capital service on the Wahsington
to Chicago route.
Jul. 1956 - Capital ordred 14 De Havilland Comet 4 and 4C long-haul jets,
these orders were cancelled.
1957 - Order placed for 7 Convair 880's, delivery cancelled.
1960 - Starts service wih 11 DC6's leased from Pan American
Jan. 1961 - Starts service with Boeing 720 pure jets leased from
United Airlines (the CAP/UAL merger is a foregone conclusion and UAL wants to
get jet service established in the Florida market asap).
Jul. 1961 - United Air Lines took over Capital Airlines and its Viscount
fleet making UAL the largest free-world airline of the time.